Weather is improving; temperature is falling down. Temperature in Sharjah this morning was around 25’C and time just after sunrise is the best time to experience the cold in the ambiance.
There is an old saying “the Quality of your life is the quality of your ambiance”. I just made that up because the old saying says “The quality of your life is the quality of your decisions.” And decisions are an outcome of the influence – how, what and who influences us. Every ounce of influence either makes us a better version or the contrary. Am sharing 21 influential tips; just adopt any of the 5 tips and be the better version.
1. Feed your Passion: There is an old saying “Nothing great in the world has been accomplished without passion.” — Georg Wilhelm Friedrich Hegel, German Philosopher. Identify your passion and feed it with (EAT) your Energy, Attention and Time.
2. Never touch thing twice: Most people are searching formula to save time. And I present the panacea “Never touch things twice” to save time. There is an old saying “Begin the task to complement.” You begin the task and don’t stop till you have completed it. It saves time, gives great sense of accomplishment and peace of mind because it provide instant gratification of less clutter in your mind.
3. Give 10% more: Everybody knows “You are not rewarded for giving your 100% but for the little extra 10%” Hence whatever you deliver simply add 10% on top of 100% and your efforts will be appreciated. If you are serving paratha simply add a smiley of butter on it.
4. Eat the Frog: Mark Twain once said “If it’s your job to eat a frog, it’s best to do it first thing in the morning. And if it’s your job to eat two frogs, it’s best to eat the biggest one first.” The frog is that one thing you have on your to-do list that you have absolutely no motivation to do and that you’re most likely to procrastinate on. Eating the frog means to just do it, otherwise the frog will eat you meaning that you’ll end up procrastinating it the whole day. Once that one task is done, the rest of the day will be an easy ride and you will get both momentum and a sense of accomplishment at the beginning of your day. This formula really works with me, just do it and feel the Adrenalin rush.
5. Learn to say NO: Everybody has 24 hours in the day hence say Yes to important tasks that add value to your life; and say NO to others or delegate. People might be offended but remember that you have only 24 hours in a day.
6. Three top priorities in Life: Identify top priorities in your Personal, Professional and Social Life. Personal – Are you spending quality time with your loved ones, Professionals – are you meeting your Top 3 customers; Social – are you calling on your three best friends every week.
7. 5 Second Rule: I have successfully used 5 second rule to make an habit of rising early in the morning. And this formula has been pilfered from Mel Robbins bestselling book “ The 5 Seconds Rule.” – Message is when a constructive idea hits your mind, simply count from 5 through 0 and take action.
8. Check your digital communication at pre-determined time of the day: Save time and avoid giving attention to periodic click or whirr of the messages. Limit your email and digital engagement at pre-determined time for pre-determined time period.
9. Creativity: Practice creativity exercises from Edward de Bono’s book “How to have a Creative Ideas – 62 Exercises to Develop the Mind” Spend 20 – 30 minutes practicing one exercise a day.
10. Think Time: Just after you get up in the morning and before you go to bed in the night; Spend 15 – 20 minutes solitary unadulterated time thinking holistically about your goals and your of achievements for the day. Think what could have been done different to bring in a bigger impact.
11. Power Posture: Everyday begin your day with power posture. Stand tall and walk tall for 2 – 3 minutes. Before your begin your meeting, practice Power posture for 2 – 3 minutes.
12. Smile more: Every morning practice smiling for 5 minutes. Smile when you are driving, smile when you are on the cell phone, smile when you are scripting your email. Just smile.
13. STAND TALL: Sit and walk tall. Your tall body posture stretches your thinking, passion and energy.
14. Avoid Multi-tasking: Multi-tasking might seem saving you time but multi-tasking reduces your efficiency, impacts quality of your output and consumes more time. Hence single task and delete multitasking.
15. Don’t wait for things to happen: Everyday take bite size action towards your goals. Don’t wait for things to happen, Take action every day.
16. Resilience: Find ways to bounce back from mood swings, setbacks and disappointments. Treat them as stepping stones and “NOT YET” scenario.
17. Story telling: Learn to tell stories. Practice telling simple stories to children. When you give a presentation 63% of the audience remembers stories whereas only 7% of the people remember facts and figures. You want to build up on your telling skills read “Made to Stick” by Dan and Chip Heath.
18. Better Words: Increase your vocabulary and include one powerful word a week in your vocabulary and make your communication meaningful and sticky.
19. Health: Early on people earn at the expense of health and later in life spend to take care of health. Take care of your health NOW and slot regular daily time for yoga and meditations during the day.
20. Read more: Leaders are Readers. Read one book a month on your passion.
21. Pay back: Pay back to the society. Share what you have in abundance; is it time, knowledge or things!