Imagine you call up your customer for the outstanding payment and the response is “We cannot make the payment please take back the equipment.” Later in the evening you receive a call that your best friend has been admitted to the hospital.
Next morning you go for a health checkup and the Doctor says that you have a high cholesterol. Later in the day your appraisal has been completed and your senior neither recommends a raise nor a promotion. Aah!
How do you react? Most of the people in your situation will fold up and withdraw in self-pity and cursing. On the flip side there are a handful few who bounce back with vigour and high octane fuel. Where do they get the inspiration to bounce back?
Well I have a close friend who always bounces back irrespective how hard he hits the ground. I am amazed by his capacity to let go of the past and move forward hence I called on him to request recipe for his secret sauce. He kept quiet for sometime and said Vinod lets go watch Cricket live telecast.
He switched on the TV and we were engrossed in the game of cricket. Just when the game was getting interesting, he switched off the TV. I shouted …….. what! He said about an hour back you asked me my Secret sauce to bounce back. I suppose you got the answer. He further said that whenever I have a bad day; I just shift my focus to things I enjoy doing. And then he said “Did you notice 20,000 people in the stadium watching the game of cricket? How excited they were ? They are die hard cricket fans who enjoy watching live cricket at any cost. And for them Cricket is the source for an inspiration and forget their troubles for the time.” He said the secret sauce is “focus your thoughts on the things you enjoy and sooner your troubles will be gone.”
My next question to you is “what do you enjoy doing?” I will share my list of few that I have compiled and enjoy doing.
- READING NON-FICTION BEST SELLERS:- My favourite “The Magic of Thinking big,” “Who moved my cheese;” “Think and Grow Rich;” “The Monk who sold his Ferrari;” “Yes the 50 secrets of Persuasion;” “Outliers;” “Tipping point” “The Brain Advantage” and so on.
- LISTENING TO AUDIO :- Listening in the car or on my MP3, Inspirational speeches by Jim Rohn, Sandeep Maheshwari, Brian Tracy and TED.
- NATURE IS A SUPERB CURE :– Going for an early morning walk. There is power in the early hour’s cool wind and the silence in the air.
- TALKING TO POSITIVE PEOPLE WHO UPLIFT AND INSPIRE YOU :– A friend, colleague or a family member. Or attend a seminar or an event with an uplifting theme.
- ATTEND TOASTMASTERS MEETING or visit a museum or an art exhibition.
- Reading my GRATITUDE book.
- And finally SKIPPING, STAIR CLIMBING or a short jog.
What is your Secret Sauce?