Expatriates move to Dubai to explore greener pastures. On the flip side economy is fluid; Banks are cutting jobs whereas others are nationalizing. Companies are exploring cost cutting and the straight forward solution is downsizing or hiring people at lower cost structure. In harsh words the judgement is “JOBS ARE NO MORE SECURED FOR YOUR LIFE TIME.”
And what happens when you are laid off in your mid-career or late career? Do you have a GAME PLAN? Can you return home and fit into the job market? I am afraid not unless you have a game plan. The Game plan are like the Two Pillars: LinkedIn and Twitter that can help you re-circulate in the professional world. I would recommend the following GAME PLAN (Dubai and Home Town) for Expatriates …
@ DUBAI Plan: @ LinkedIn Strategy
- Connect with Industry professionals in Dubai
- Follow Companies of your interest in Dubai
- Engage your connections with Insight (Like, Share & Comment) – this is the key
- Establish your Expert status by periodically posting relevant content.
- This will grow & strengthen your local professional network. Remember your Network is your NETWORTH.
@ HOME Town: @ LinkedIn: Repeat the same exercise for you home town
- Connect with Industry professionals in your Home Town
- Follow industry companies in Home Town
- Engage your connections with Insight (Like, Share & Comment) – this is the KEY
- Establish your Expert status by periodically posting relevant and interesting content.
- Explore how you can bring value to Professionals in Dubai and your Home Town by CROSS sharing content and CROSS introducing professionals. (this could be utilized to bring in necessary skills across – Recruitment)
- The objective is not to be out of sight of your home town. But strengthen your network in your Home town. You can leverage it when you go back because networks take time to nurture and grow.
- @ Dubai:
- @ Home Town:
- Create a LIST of your industry companies @ home town and follow, engage on Twitter
- Create LIST of Industry Experts in Home Town and engage them @ twitter by RT and Favourite
- List enables you to cut through clutter and focus on select tweets in the List. List is like your Personal Rolodex
Out of Sight is Out of Mind. You are employed overseas but you don’t neglect your home town industry professionals. Hence when you go back and call upon them; your calls are accepted because they are no more cold calls from strangers. Because you have taken efforts and time to nurture them. Remembers people like to do business with people they KNOW , LIKE and TRUST. And in Digital Economy KNOW LIKE and TRUST is built with ONE ON ONE interaction or ONE TO MANY over SOCIAL MEDIA PLATFORM.