8 hours to the advent of new year 2012. In the technology world, I foresee tremendous innovation, progress in Cloud computing. I foresee numerous startups across the globe shaping up and leveraging the Cloud platform.
Cloud has been an old phenomenon but Virtualization, broadband and Social Media has given it a new dimensions. I must not explain the benefits, cloud computing reflect in the business bottom-line. Neither I must reiterate the “7” visible benefits of Cloud computing that are..
- Anywhere, anyplace: Access data from any location with an Internet connection.
- Quick start up: Just get the internet access and you are up and running.
- Scalability: Can add and remove capacity based on real rather than projected storage needs.
- Quality of Service: Since the services are provided by professionals, quality is maintained.
- Pay-as-you-go: model allows for reduced operating expenses.
- No capital expense: An OPEX model; no capital expense.
- No maintenance : No hardware, systems software of applications maintenance expense or resources other than the end point devices.
Having said that progressive investments, trust and innovation in Cloud computing has given birth to many derivatives of Cloud computing such as
- – SaaS – Software as service
- – PaaS – Platform as a service
- – CaaS – Communication as a service
- – IaaS – Infrastructre as a service
In the coming months the cloud derivatives will be further subdivide. And coining of term XaaS is the proof. XaaS is a collective term said to stand for a number of things including “X as a service,” “anything as a service” or “everything as a service.” The acronym refers to an increasing number of services that are delivered or will be delivered over the Internet rather than provided locally or on-site.
How can businesses initiate into cloud computing?
- Calculate the total cost of ownership for every business process and compare it with the test values of performing such processes on cloud.
- Check out cloud services provider, talk to their clients, read out their Terms and conditions and SLA’s.
- Explore and study the best practice of the competition and partners in cloud computing and see how they benefit from such model.
- Study the risk and risk mitigation of Cloud computing.
- List down all your business processes and evaluate what can move on the cloud. Or better still identify 1 non-critical process and move to the cloud platform. It could be messaging, CRM or others.
- Set up a task force to draw up a Cloud roadmap for your business and adopt cloud.
How can common man initiate into cloud computing ?
1. Foremost understand the basics of cloud computing. Visit YouTube tutorials on CLOUD.
2. Identify applications available on cloud that would increase your productivity.
3. Understand the implication of moving into the cloud. It is wiser to understand the risk and advantage when you are moving into no man’s land.
Victor hugo said “There is nothing more powerful than an idea whose time has come.” And Cloud computing idea has established credibility for the year 2012 and would cross every technology discussion among businesses and CIO’s. And if they are not talking Cloud, they are not only losing opportunities but living in a fool’s paradise.