You might have heard an old saying, “It’s not what you know, it’s who you know.” This has endured for ages and holds more true in the present context but its important to remember that “It’s not only who you know, it’s also who knows you!” And am reminded of a very convincing joke wherein Jack, a smart businessman, talks to his son…………………….
Jack: I want you to marry a girl of my choice
Son : “I will choose my own bride”.
Jack: “But the girl is Bill Gates’s daughter.”
Son : “Well, in that case…”
Next Jack approaches Bill Gates…
Jack: “I have a husband for your daughter.”
Bill Gates : “But my daughter is too young to marry.”
Jack: “But this young man is a vice-president of the World Bank.”
Bill Gates: “Ah, in that case…”
Finally Jack goes to see the president of the World Bank…
Jack: “I have a young man to be recommended as a vice-president.”
President: “But I already have more vice-presidents than I need.”
Jack: “But this young man is Bill Gates’s son-in-law.”
President: “Ah, in that case…..” ………………………” This is the POWER OF CONNECTIONS”
Now I would like to share few tips on ATTRACTING more LinkedIn connections and tips are
- Profile: Complete your profile with a picture. Incomplete profile reflect doubt and uncertainty.
- Groups: Join the groups which are a true reflection of your professional interest want to connect. Participate in the Group activities to help, advise and guide.
- Blog: Write and share Blog post with your LI connections to express your expertise. This should genuinely reflect your intent to help and share quality information and not to eulogies you.
- Appreciate: Show appreciation of others posting through adding comments and Like.
- Invite: When you meet someone in professional or social context collect he business card and invite him to connect on LinkedIn.
- 1000 Threshold: Once you have reached a threshold of 1,000 connections you will begin receiving request to connect and this can range from 1 – 5 a day.
Robert Kiyosaki says, “The richest people in the world look for and build networks, everyone else looks for work.” Hence Good luck and make your connections do the connecting for you and others.