You can ask me the same question. Well 2011; 2012; 2013 I miserably failed on my New Year resolutions and I realized that my failure was due to four factors. And they are:
- Fuzzy ideas regarding my resolutions
- No plan of action.
- Out of sight, out of mind and finally
- I did not have a mentor or partner to keep me on track.
This year I changed my strategy which is bearing fruits. Hence, I will share it in this post. December 2013 I decided to shortlist “4” best seller books (non-fiction) that were in line with my goals. And then on December 20, 2013 onwards I chose my first book wherein my theme was “Master Science of Persuasion.” Since I come from a sales background, it’s important to study selling but it’s more important to masters how customer buy? So I chose my first book to be “Yes! 50 Secrets from the Science of Persuasion” written by Steve J. Martin and Robert B. Cialdini. The objective was to:
- Focus on the “SCIENCE OF PERSUASION” for the next 3 months.
- Study the book and practice the passage and tips.
- Carry the book along with the objective to keep the resolution in my vision.
- Read and re-read and practice the principles.
- Time permitting to read other online content published by the author and comments/reviews written by the readers.
Subsequent to these three months, that is, the beginning April 2014 my theme is “Thinking big” and the book will be “The Magic of Thinking Big” by David J. Schwartz. Similarly, there are themes for the months subsequent to those, that is, from July – September and October – December. By the end of the year I should have mastered 4 principles and made them second nature to me.
This book methodology is working with me because it has addressed the four reasons of failures. You can further reinforce your learning by writing book reviews and blogging your experiences. Or better still, contact a meet-up group and deliver your learnings in the forum.