I was surfing the net when I got a Skype call from a friend in India. He said “Hi – I am driving and thought of connecting with you through Skype.” Last Thursday while driving on Emirates road I noticed a long line of vehicles ahead hence I decided to turn towards the city to avoid the traffic. Alas the situation was worse; the traffic had come to stand still. That’s when I realized the traffic in Dubai will continue to grow grim over the next few years. And there are numerous reasons contributing to Traffic jams and am sharing few of them:
Why Traffic jams:
- Population increase.
- Increase in number of vehicles on the road.
- Limitation of infrastructure to handle increase in traffic.
- Global events such as Expo 2020 and other regional events taking place in UAE are contributing towards increased movement of vehicle on DUBAI roads.
- More and more people using cars and not carpooling.
- People from other Emirates not encouraged using Metro services.
- Car owners not using Metro unless it connects direct office to residence.
What can Dubai government do to minimize traffic jams?
- Expand and build road infrastructure to support future growth.
- Develop a feeder Metro; bus and taxi services to connect main metro stations
- Restrict traffic on certain commercials zones.
- Restrict type of traffic or vehicles during certain time periods or days
- Support car pool services and make it simpler.
- Build multi-storied parking zones next to metro stations.
- Work with other Emirates to ease entry and exit choke points.
The traffic jam cost sweat equity in terms of man-hours lost. So what is the solution ? Well I am sharing my thoughts to minimize and add value to your time on the road and or tips to utilize your time when stuck in traffic jam.
- Identify a suitable less traffic time to travel such as leaving early from home to office and office to home.
- Use metro to reach faster and Fresh in Dubai
- Buy your groceries and essential items online to be delivered to your home. And save general purchase commute time.
- Cut down on Commute Time:
- Find residence next to your office.
- Use digital tools such as video conference for meetings.
- Replace onsite with online seminars and web events
- Identify convenient meeting places for business meetings in the city such as coffee shop or restaurants equipped with WIFI
- Things to do when in the car:
- Listen to audio program – Create your University in car
- Listen to your favorite music.
- Touch base with business and friends
- Utilize time to fix up meetings.
- Call on Radio Stations and participate in contests
- Practice breathing exercises – my favourite
- Practice Memory exercises
- Use time to plan your next day
- Set aside travel time for brainstorming new ideas – my favourite
Good luck on your road journey in Dubai