Last night I was dissecting my diary wherein I script my daily activities. I realized that some days were productive and few did not go as per my expectations. My Happiness meter was the mirror image of how I had performed that day.
On closer scrutiny- I realized that days I was able to sell, happiness meter shot up and days I was unsuccessful in selling, the Happiness meter tanked. Now you may wonder what has happiness or success to do with Selling because I am not a sales person. Sit back and relax – everyone is selling – advertently or inadvertently. And your SUCCESS is about how well you sell?
SELLING TO YOURSELF: The most important sale you make is – a Sale to yourself.
- Selling the ideas to get up early in the morning.
- Selling yourself the benefits of exercising.
- Selling yourself the benefits of taking hard decisions. If you can achieve “Sell Yourself milestones” your happiness meter moves on the upward trajectory.
SELLING TO OTHERS: Now comes the factor of selling to others. Your daily ritual is filled with selling to others. And you are judged by how well you sell to others.
- How well you sell your advise to your kids or how receptive your kids are to your advise.
- How well you sell your opinion to your spouse?
- Did your family buy your weekend plan or vacation plan?
- Did your friends buy your idea for a cup of coffee at Starbucks?
- Did your team buy your idea to make 10 customer visits a day?
- Did your boss buy your ideas to hold next sales meet at Holiday Inn?
- Did policeman buy your excuse for not wearing the car seat belt?
Now if you dissect your day you will realize that your success or failure is a reflection of how well you sell your idea, product or services to yourself first followed by to others.