Dubai is building more roads, more bridges/tunnels, more Salik but still not able to cope with traffic problems. Imagine the sight of Dubai roads if Dubai did not have traffic signals, bridges/tunnels & road signs.
Well our mind is somewhat similar with over 60,000 thoughts running in a day. And most of the time multiple thoughts meander and collide because we have not installed traffic signals or road signs; resultant we invite stress and our productivity level is shot down.
People say focusing your mind on one subject brings the maximum impact. Focused mind also brings more peace and happiness. In a research on a group of monks who had been practicing extreme meditation, it was found that their frontal lobe lit up when meditating which is a response triggered when you are very happy. Hence research proves that focusing your attention on one single task at a time makes you happy. And probably this is the reason we are happy when our mind is uncluttered.
I would suggest few practical tips to bring focus and the tips are INTERNAL and EXTERNAL. Let’s talk about
- Think inside the box: (BRIDGES AND TUNNELS) Assume I ask you “In next 15 seconds write down names of as many green colour things” And thereafter I ask you in next 15 seconds write the names of all green colour things in your refrigerator.” Guess which question will invite a longer list?
- Many a time (TRAFFIC SIGNALS) we engage people in a conversation who we have earlier cheated us or did not keep up to their promises. And when we engage with such people it impacts us adversely; our mood and metabolism. Hence discipline yourself to avoid negative people and negative thoughts. Practice this exercise for the first half of the day and slowly extend it to the day, week and month.
- Six thinking hats (ROAD SIGNS) : This is about exercising your thinking. At any given time think why an idea will work, think why it will not work and think how you can make it better. Use Edward De Bono Six thinking Hats methodology to train your thinking.
- 80/20 Rule: (HIGHWAY/EXPRESS WAY) Apply 80/20 rule in your professional life. List out all activities and decide what is 80% and OUT and what is 20% and IN.
- Every afternoon (FRIDAY MORNING DRIVE ON DUBAI ROADS) before your lunch time and after you reach home in the evening; sit down quietly for 15 minutes and meditate or sit still with no distraction – no TV, No internet, no call, no newspaper and no email just be with yourself.
Enjoy a stress free life.